Sunday, May 15, 2005

Communication 101

This isn't going to be a fun, cutesy post. This is just documentation of all the words and signs Jaynie knows. I haven't really tried to count them yet, and I'm curious as to just how many she does.

Most of them she does a sign and says a "word" at the same time - we wouldn't know what she was saying if she didn't do the sign with it. Some of them she's stopped doing the sign altogether because she says the word now instead (thank you comes to mind). So the lists will overlap, but I'm gonna list all the signs she does or did, and all the words she says that I can tell what she's saying.

Signs - hat, more, drink, milk, diaper, poop, kitty, doggie, duck, frog, giraffe, hippo, elephant, bunny, turtle, gentle, cracker, cereal, hot, cold, spider, sun, rain, train, car, horse, bird, please, thank you, hear, flower, cheese, fish, big, little, tired/nap, book, pig, eat, all done, and (the gone but not forgotton) boob.

Words - hat, more, drink, milk, diaper, poop, duck, turtle, gentle, cracker, spider, rain, train, please, thank you, cheese, fish, big, little, nap, book, hi, hello, bye-bye, Mommy, Daddy, Gramma, apple, peas, water, juice, raisens, chicken, Victoria, George, binky, bath, swing, moo, quack, ruff-ruff, baa, ribbit, meow, tweet-tweet, wah-wah, baby, tv show, movie, Elmo, Cookie, Ernie, Bert, Big Bird, trash, batty-bat, la la la, "and me" (from "Rainbow Connection"), blanket, Bob, Boom!, beans, green beans, ice cream, shoe, foot, hand, arm, nose, glasses, high-five, outside, out, up, down, all done, uh-oh, two, three, slipper....

I've been working on this for like 20 min. There might be more, but that's all I've got for now. Plenty of these "words" are only things I understand (example - "glasses" are "dat-dats"), but I *do* understand them, so I'm counting them. If she can use a sound to tell me what she wants and I get it, that counts as a word in my book.

I can't believe how many there are! Holy cow - when did my baby turn into a kid?

She also is combining them. She'll ask for "more cheese", or "Movie! Elmo!", or "book, pleeeease", or "fish cracker" etc. Tonight she asked for "cereal, milk" because she wanted a bowl of cereal, not just a handful of dry Cheerios. The most memorable thing she did was when she was having a diaper change pre-nap. I always give her a drink of water before laying her down. She was on the table, and she looked around and then signed for diaper, then drink, then nap. It was just like in Meet the Fockers - she was telling me "Right now you're changing my diaper, then I'm going to have a drink, and after that a nice nap." Amazing.

No comments: