Saturday, January 20, 2007

You stole my cashews!

Today Madam didn't take a nap. She slipped in under the radar somehow. Generally speaking, if she's not sleeping she's making a ton of noise. Makes it easy to tell she's still awake, so I can go in and deal with it. Not today. Today she was silent, but awake (this alone deserves a blog entry - who knew she was capable of being both silent and awake at the same time? Mark January 20 on your calendars, people!)

The result of no nap is, of course, a cranky kid. Rather than having a short fuse, she has no fuse. (She also has no volume control. I can only say "library voice!" so many times before we just have to leave.)

So we're in the car, and she's having a snack of mixed nuts. Cashews, almonds, pecans. She eats all the cashews out and then gets pissed that there are no more, she says she doesn't want the rest blahblahblah I take the cup from her... five minutes later she starts bawling unexpectedly. What? What on earth is wrong? "I want my almonds!" Well ok! For the love of Pete - just ask for them! Joe is trying to explain the difference between a real reason to cry and crying over something stupid (good luck there, hon), when she yells "I'm CRYING because Mommy TOOK MY CASHEWS!"

Me: I did not!

Joe: turns head to laugh - almost drives off the road

Jaynie: You DID TOO! YOU STOLE THEM!


How do you argue here? When you're being screeched at from the backseat? Unfairly accused of being a cashew thief?


Just when Joe and I start to get it together she announces, in the saddest voice on the planet, that she's "not crying anymore, but I still just have a little tear on my cheek. And I'm still using my crying voice."


Sometimes I'm tempted to let her skip her nap on purpose - just so I have all this good blog fodder.

No comments: