Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Shhhh - she's listening!

We have to be veeery careful what we say around the Twink. She is always listening. Even if it looks like she's totally engrossed in a book? Listening. (Strangely enough, she doesn't seem to hear me when I tell her to eat her dinner/clean her room/give that toy back to her brother. Huh.)

I cut out all bad words when she was a baby, before she had the chance to repeat them. So imagine my chagrin when she yelled out, in the middle of the Children's Museum, "You FREAKING KIDS!" Whoops.

Or the time she couldn't get a puzzle to go together correctly so exclaimed "Muvver of GOD!" Nice.


But it's not just questionable language she repeats. Example: Jaynie has an unholy fear of the book Hop on Pop! by Dr. Seuss. There's a few pages about Pat, and how Pat should NOT sit on THAT! (It's a cactus.) First we could read the whole book. Then we could read most of the book, but not the "Pat pages". Then we had to make sure she couldn't even see the Pat pages while we skipped them, then, one day, the book was stuffed under the couch and I was told to take it back to the library - WITHOUT SHOWING IT TO HER. Ok.

Anyway - I was telling a friend about this, while Jaynie was across the room playing with other kids. Later that night, she tells her Dad that Hop on Pop is the book that "I literally back away from!" Listening, I tell you. Watch yourselves.

No comments: