Sunday, June 05, 2005

Oh My!

My title choice reminds me of one of the cutest things Jaynie does. Joe taught it to her while giving her the bath. He says "Lions and tigers and bears!" and she says "Oh my!". It is freaking adorable.

This is not what this post is about. This is not going to be an adorable post. This is not going to be a story that makes you jealous and wish you were here with this kiddo. This is not going to make you want a little trouble-maker of your own. This will make you glad you live in another state....

This morning Jaynie woke up at about 6:20. I have a policy that strictly forbids rushing in to get her when she wakes up before 7am. I have found in the past that if I went straight in at 6:20, tomorrow she'd wake up at 6:10, the next day at 6, and so on and so forth. If I make her wait a bit, most of the time she falls back asleep. 6:20 is just too early for anyone to be getting up.

So she calls me a couple of times, then there's silence while she plays with her toys. Then she whines a little, then there's more silence. This goes on for about 30 minutes. I'm lying there thinking "Why doesn't she just go back to sleep?" Finally she starts crying a very sad, tired-sounding cry, and Joe gets up. I'm talking to her from the bed "Twinkie! Daddy's coming! Are you ready to get up?" And he's walking into the room. This is what I hear...

"Hey Twi....." GASP! "Jennifer! Get in here!"

I walk in to find a diaperless baby, and poop everywhere.

I won't go into detail here, let's just say it was hands-down the grossest thing EVER. The lack of diaper is still a mystery. She was wearing a one-piece romper to bed, and it was still snapped up, but her diaper was laying in the crib. Both tabs were still fastened,(Which was good, because the first thing Joe said was "Maybe you didn't fasten it good enough last night." Sheesh.) but one of them had come loose from the side, and I guess it just fell out the leg hole of her romper when she stood up? I don't know. All I know is that after losing the diaper she evidentally peed twice and pooped once. And then smeared it all over the freaking crib. Ooh, sorry, I said no details.

Two baths, a shower, and an entire Cloroxing of her room later, and life is back to normal. Well, as normal as it can be after seeing something like that. Eeeesh. Even though I personally scrubbed her feet with soap and water 3 times this morning, I'm having a real hard time kissing them today. Yuck yuck yuck.

Hug your already potty-trained kids extra tight today.

No comments: